Equipment and Components
- Introduction to practice
- Engineering fundamentals
- Introduction to HVAC&R – system types and applicability
- Introduction to system components
- Load and energy estimation
- Comfort conditions
- Refrigeration cycles and refrigerants
- Heat rejection
- Hot water heaters
- Heat exchange equipment
- Packaged systems
Practice and Performance
- Refrigeration systems
- Air systems
- Water systems
- Electrical systems
- System control
- Thermal storage and mass
- Passive, mixed-mode and hybrid systems
- System design and selection
- Industry practice
- Design and construction process
- Regulation and compliance
- Bidding and tendering
- Commissioning and building tuning
- Operations, maintenance and facilities management
Students receive ongoing support throughout the course via the online classroom, question board, assessment schedules and peer-to-peer discussion.
Course work delivered online
- Four key areas
- Over 100 hours of course content.
Face to face
A two-day orientation provides an introduction to HVAC&R. It features guest industry experts and an on-site visit. Details of this component will be confirmed closer to the beginning of the course.
Students who successfully complete the Professional Diploma in Building Services – HVAC&R will be issued:
- A letter of completion
- A statement of results
- The AIRAH industry-accredited PDBS-HVAC&R certificate.
Registrations are open for the April 2020 intake.
Download the registration form
You must be a financial member of AIRAH to enrol in the program. Non-members can join AIRAH at the Affiliate member rate.
Register before February 15, 2020: $5,665 (inc GST) for AIRAH members; $5,995* (inc GST) non-members.
Register after February 16, 2020: $6,215 (inc GST) AIRAH members; $6,545* (inc GST) non-members.
*Please note that price includes the cost of an Affiliate membership.
Registrations for the first intake for 2020 closes on March 15, 2020.
Access to the online classroom environment
- All online topic resources
- One night’s accommodation to attend the face-to-face orientation.
What do you need?
The Professional Diploma in Building Services – HVAC&R is designed for recent engineering graduates or those who have a trades background wanting to gain a better understanding of the HVAC&R design principles. You need to be competent in English, both written and verbal and be a current financial member of AIRAH.
Information for employers and employees
Robert Michalak speaks about the Graduate Training Program
In addition to the theory content provided across four key training areas, the program takes students on a journey of designing an HVAC system over 12 assignments. Feedback from experienced engineers is provided at every step
- Suitable for recent mechanical engineering graduates, or those with significant experience in associated fields of HVAC&R, who are seeking to better understand engineering processes.
- Competency-based assessment, verifying that each student is self-motivated and prepared to work effectively under senior guidance, at a graduate level in the HVAC&R industry.
- Outsourced training opportunity for HVAC&R businesses committed to the development of their graduates.
It provides an in-depth look at the overall journey of an HVAC&R mechanical engineer’s job. Practical takeaways include: reviewing a site, presenting design options to a client, calculating heat loads (manually, from basic principles), selecting equipment, designing, compliance assessment, budgeting, energy reporting and pulling together a tendering document.
This program requires students to both read the course materials and demonstrate their readiness to operate in real world projects. Students are required to undertake their own research to determine answers to design problems. The use of outside course materials will be required, such as finding suppliers’ specification guidelines. Based on industry guidance, successful participants will exhibit initiative, curiosity and creativity in their assignments.
Figures as of October 2019.
- This program has established itself as the most important education and training tool for HVAC&R industry professionals.
- Over 230 students have undertaken the program
- Two intakes each year (max. 45 registrations per intake)
- Program frequently sells out; waiting list placement available.
The Professional Diploma in Building Services – HVAC&R helps you fast track your knowledge of HVAC&R, making you even more valuable to employers. The program, running over 9 months, allows participants to study HVAC&R specific topics in a flexible and supportive learning environment.
“The AIRAH Professional Diploma in Building Services has been a terrific resource for greater understanding of the HVAC&R industry. It is full of information that bridges the gap between fundamental engineering knowledge and specific applications for HVAC&R engineering and building services.”
Daniel Waack, Engineer, A.G. Coombs Pty Ltd (Projects)
“I have been able to utilise the knowledge gained from the AIRAH Professional Diploma in Building Services in my workplace, starting from design development to design reviews. This course has not only given me added confidence but also has allowed me to utilise my knowledge to deliver infrastructure projects effectively and more sustainably. I would recommend this course to anyone who is interested in starting their career in HVAC&R. It’s a great place to start!"
Nithiya Mohan, Project Officer, Capital Facilities & Infrastructure, Department of Defence
“The AIRAH Professional Diploma in Building Services directed my tertiary studies more specifically towards the HVAC&R industry. It has also given me the opportunity to learn from industry leaders and connect with other graduates like myself.”
Jackson White, Edwards & Vickerman Consulting Engineers Pty Ltd
AIRAH is recognised as a key provider of training to the HVAC&R industry. The Professional Diploma in Building Services – HVAC&R can be used to claim CPD points. Please refer to the AIRAH Accreditation and CPD webpage for further information.
For further information, please contact: