Contact us

AIRAH head office address:
James Harrison Centre
Level 3 
1 Elizabeth Street
Melbourne Vic 3000 

T: (03) 8623 3000 


       AIRAH is a registered charity with the ACNC (Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission).

Disclaimer: Please be advised that AIRAH do not offer technical or legal advice relating to the HVAC&R industry. Our sole purpose is to provide training, education and advocacy to those who have an interest within the air conditioning, heating and refrigeration sector. 

If you are looking for advice on technical issues, standards or regulations, one of our below associated resources may be of better assistance to your needs:

Frequently Asked Questions


Question and answer


Question: Where can I get information on R32 refrigerants?

Answer: The best place to get technical information about the application of R32 refrigerant is from the refrigerant manufacturer or supplier or from the supplier/manufacturer of the R32-based equipment or system. For specific technical information and installation details contact the manufacturer and supplier of the equipment or the refrigerant.

Alternatively, more information can be found here.


Question: Where can I get information about refrigerant handling licensing?

Answer: An ARCtick licence is required across all jurisdictions when undertaking refrigeration and air conditioning work involving ozone-depleting refrigerants. Refrigerant handling licences are issued and controlled by the Australian Refrigeration Council (ARC). Click here for details.  

Question: Where can I get information on contractor/business-based licensing for refrigeration and air conditioning?

Answer: While the ARCtick licence system is a national Commonwealth requirement (i.e., an Arctick licence is required in all jurisdictions), not all states and territories have occupational or business licensing for refrigeration and air conditioning contractors. A Mutual Recognition Act 1992 (MRA) entitles people holding an occupational licence or registration in one state or territory to an equivalent licence in another state or territory provided the work is licensed in both. See this website.

The following is a jurisdictional summary of licensing requirements in all jurisdictions.

New South Wales 
New South Wales issues air-conditioning and/or refrigeration licences at both the contractor and qualified supervisor certificate levels. 

Victoria regulates refrigerated air-conditioning as a specialised plumbing class, and this is issued as an ‘endorsement’ at the registration and licence levels

Queensland licenses refrigeration and air-conditioning work through the Queensland Building Services Authority (regulated as part of the building occupations). 

South Australia
Regulation of refrigeration and air conditioning occurs through the building occupations, where the primary focus of licensing surrounds the structural integrity of the installation of a refrigeration and air-conditioning unit in a building (that is the mounting of the unit and strengthening of trusses where required). 

Western Australia
Western Australia does not license refrigeration and air-conditioning work.

Tasmania does not license refrigeration and air-conditioning work. However, it does license mechanical services plumbing and is concerned primarily with the plumbing aspect of the work.

Australian Capital Territory
The Australian Capital Territory does not license refrigeration and air-conditioning work.

Northern Territory
The Northern Territory does not license refrigeration and air-conditioning work.


Question: Where can I get information on Standards?

Answer: Information on Australian Standards and their development process are available from Standards Australia. Information on specific Australian Standards and the purchase of standards is available from SAI Global Limited.  


Question: Where can I get information about noise issues?

Answer: Each state and many local government areas (local councils) have rules and regulations dealing with noise from air conditioning systems and other sources of environmental noise. Typically, councils have the power to stop people using air conditioning or to relocate systems if they are deemed too noisy, so it is important to get it right when initially installed. 

AIRAH produced a Residential Air Conditioning Best Practice Design Guide focused on noise issues associated with this application. This guide is a voluntary document to help owners and installers mitigate any noise issues, and is available free from the AIRAH website. There are versions available for each state available to download here.

You should contact your local council initially, as it will be able to clarify the specific regulation that applies in its jurisdiction and assist with the environmental noise-evaluation process.

AIRAH's website Fairair also contains size, noise and energy calculators for residential air conditioners, which may be of use.  

AIRAH is not able to make arbitration calls on equipment and installations issues. Please contact your provider in the first instance if this does not work, or please contact the Office of Fair Trading in your state for further information and support.