2017–2019 Strategic Plan summary
Safe, sustainable, healthy and effective environments.
To provide leadership, promotion, representation and support to the air conditioning, refrigeration, heating and related services industry and membership.
Our goals and strategies
AIRAH is pursuing five primary goals. They are to be:
- Australia’s recognised peak membership body in HVAC&R for both individuals and organisations.
- The leading provider of industry recognised accredited training and education programs for HVAC&R professionals.
- The leading provider of HVAC&R knowledge resources, news and information.
- The leading independent voice for the HVAC&R industry on Resilience, Innovation, Sustainability, Compliance & Transition to a low-emission future.
- A commercially savvy, contemporary and sustainable business.
The strategies associated with the goals are outlined below, along with key initiatives that have been delivered during the plan period.
1. Australia’s recognised peak membership body in HVAC&R for both individuals and organisations
Create high value member propositions for target segments
- New website launched and member only access to resources introduced
- Online access to the AIRAH Handbook and DA Manuals introduced for members, and complemented with significantly reduced price for printed copies
- Free student membership introduced
- Project commenced to introduce an AIRAH Accredited Professional Engineer program aligned to registration of professional engineers.
Partner with employers and educators to increase demand for AIRAH membership and education/training
- Acquisition and continued publication of the Australian Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Volumes 1 and 2 for TAFE students and teachers
- Employer Partner membership program introduced
- Education Partner membership program introduced.
Implement integrated marketing and business development strategies to build brand and drive revenue/growth
- Promotional materials created (posters, video, articles) to promote the HVAC&R industry
- Digital marketing and social media activities enhanced and expanded
- New digital advertising opportunities introduced for suppliers and sponsors
- Strategies developed to take our education and training products to employers.
2. The leading provider of industry recognised accredited training and education programs for HVAC&R professionals
Establish the HVAC&R industry competency framework to guide professional development
- Competency framework developed, aligned to the career pathways of mechanical engineers and associated professionals, to be launched in 2019
- Partnership established with the Australian Institute of Management to provide business, leadership and personal effectiveness training courses
- Online diary for keeping records of CPD developed for launch in 2019.
Create and deliver education properties to support professional careers, and compliance and safety in HVAC&R
- AIRAH's accredited Professional Diploma Building Services – HVAC&R introduced
- AIRAH's accredited Professional Certificate in HVAC&R Fundamentals introduced
- In-house training programs for ammonia safety, operations and safety expanded
- Education programs updated - Air Conditioning 101, Section J courses, Building Ventilation
- Online Flammable Refrigerant Safety Guide training module developed in partnership with Department of Environment and Energy.
3. The leading provider of HVAC&R knowledge resources, news and information
Build AIRAH’s stock of online technical resources and enhance ease of access
- Members provided with online access to Ecolibrium articles, HVAC&R Nation Skills Workshops and the majority of DA technical manuals
- DA09 Air Conditioning Load Estimation and DA15 Air Filters updated and due for release in 2019
- DA19 HVAC&R Maintenance update underway and scheduled for release late 2019
- New manual, DA04 Air Balancing in development and due for release in 2019
- Partnership with Institute of Refrigeration UK (IOR) established to provide members with online access to materials.
Deliver technical IP from member groups aligned with the AIRAH agenda
- New Special Technical Groups (STG’s) added: Big Data and Analytics; Building Physics Resilience; Infection Control and Operating Theatre Practices
- Women of AIRAH group created.
Provide industry events, news and information with content and format that is relevant to our audience
- HVAC&R News website and e-Newsletter introduced
- HVAC&R Search – a new online industry directory launched
- Refrigeration conference re-introduced
- Event App introduced to enhance Conference and Forum user experience.
4. The leading independent voice for the industry on resilience, innovation, sustainability, compliance and transition to a low-emission future
Utilise PRIME and iHub to facilitate industry transition to a low-emissions future and promote HVAC innovation and sustainability
- Funding grant lodged with the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) as part of the iHub initiative driving innovation in HVAC&R
- HFC Fact Sheets created and awareness campaign undertaken.
Promote our Policy and Advocacy Positions 2017–2020 to government, regulators and fellow associations supported with research, industry engagement and action plans
- Building Commissioning technical specification being developed with Standards Australia
- Proposal for an Indoor Air Quality Standard approved by Standards Australia
- Safety in the HVAC&R trade - report on WHS issues survey undertaken
- Future of HVAC White Paper completed
- Guide to Model WHS Law in Australia for the HVAC&R industry completed
- Research report into the barriers to energy efficiency for walk-in cool rooms completed
- Best practice guide for walk-in cool rooms commenced.
5. A commercially savvy, contemporary and sustainable business
Create a change ready organisation, with a focus on execution and performance supported by strong leadership, systems and processes
- Major upgrade to the association database including website renewal completed
- IT security upgrade and transfer to a cloud based back up system completed
- SharePoint documentation management system implemented
- Centenary celebrations for 2020 in development.
Improve cost efficiencies and margin management and build commercial rigour into everything we do
- Major finance and investment review completed, and actions implemented
- Expenditure reviews completed and major expense items re-tendered.