AIRAH NAMES 2020 AWARD FINALISTS
Friday, October 9, 2020
Finalists have been named across 11 categories for the AIRAH Awards 2020, which will be announced in an online event slated for November 10.
“Despite the considerable impact of COVID-19 this year, nomination numbers were healthy, and the people, projects, products and initiatives put forward were most deserving of the judges’ consideration,” says AIRAH CEO Tony Gleeson, M.AIRAH.
“Although 2020 will mostly be remembered for the way it changed our world, it should also be recalled for reaffirming the importance of HVAC&R. During Australia’s long-lasting COVID-19 restrictions, our industry ensured we had access to fresh food, it provided controlled environments for treating patients, and it kept householders comfortable while many of us worked or studied from home.
“So, this year it is especially relevant that we celebrate the contribution of Australia’s HVAC&R sector. It’s also a landmark occasion for the Institute – in 2020 AIRAH turns 100, adding a special significance to our industry accolades.”
Student of the Year Award – Higher Education or Research
Nima Izadyar, Affil.AIRAH
- Yunlong Ma, Affil.AIRAH
Grace Foo, M.AIRAH
- James Goard, Affil.AIRAH
- Steven Williams, Affil.AIRAH
Excellence in Innovation
Excellence in Sustainability
- Norman Disney & Young and Plumbing Industry Climate Action Centre (Plumbing Industry Climate Action Centre)
- McClintock Engineering Group (University of Queensland, Gatton Campus)
- A.G. Coombs, Steensen Varming, and Wood (UTS Central)
Denis Joseph Award for Innovative Use of Solar Energy in HVAC&R
Norman Disney & Young and Plumbing Industry Climate Action Centre (Plumbing Industry Climate Action Centre)
- Ample Tech (InterContinental Sydney Double Bay)
- Plenary Group (Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre)
Product of the Year
- Veolia and McClintock Engineering Group (Innovative solar thermal water battery)
Best HVAC Retrofit or Upgrade
Breezair Extraordinaire – Seeley
- OPA Eco Ultra – Temperzone
- Precise Control Units – Air Change
Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion
Excellence in HVAC&R Research
McClintock Engineering Group (Advancing HVAC in healthcare)
- IT Critical Systems (BHP Olympic Dam: DR site upgrade)
James Harrison Medal
Dr Xiaolin Wang, Affil.AIRAH, ANU. Carbon dioxide hydrate-based cold thermal energy storage and carbon capture
- Dr Vahid Vakiloroaya, Innowate. Towards Green Buildings
WR Ahern Award
- This is the highest honour bestowed on an individual at the AIRAH Awards. The winner will be announced during the Awards ceremony.
This prize is awarded to the best technical paper by an AIRAH member published in Ecolibrium.
Eight papers were eligible in 2020, with the three below rated the highest by our judge.
- “Energy performance of low-charge NH3 systems in practice,” by Stefan Jensen, F.AIRAH, August 2019 Ecolibrium
- “Improving pump efficiency. A combination of regulation and good design,” by James Spears, M.AIRAH, December 2019 Ecolibrium
- “Principles of split mass flow and heat-shifting psychrometrics towards efficient comfort management,” by Peter Phillips, F.AIRAH, July 2019 Ecolibrium
The AIRAH Awards 2020 will be held as a free-admission virtual event on Tuesday November 10 at 4.30pm (NSW, Vic, ACT, Tas) | 4pm (SA) | 3.30pm (Qld) | 3pm (NT) | 1.30pm (WA).
For more information and to register for the Awards ceremony, click here
Thanks to our sponsors:
Future Leader Award sponsor
Excellence in Sustainability Award sponsor
WR Ahern Award sponsor
Product of the Year Award sponsor